Thursday, November 20, 2008

Participate in Miracles!!

Following our 115 day stay in the intensive care units here at UNC Children's Hospital, I can honestly say that I left feeling privileged to have been able to be a part of the miracles that occur at this hospital. My son, Ned, was born with a condition known as CDH (Congenital Diaphramatic Hernia) which prevented his lungs from forming prenatally. My husband and I had travelled across the county to find the best physicans to treat our son. The more research we did, the more grim his prognosis became. He was given a projected survival rate of less than 20%. We chose UNC after meeting some of the surgeons and head of pediatrics here. Just being exposed to their confidence and hope gave us a peace that we were longing to experience.

After birth, Ned received his CDH repair on day 3 of life. It was also on that day that the doctors here diagnosed a heart defect that would also require repair surgery. While that news could have been a huge blow, our doctors here possessed a quiet knowing that allowed me to place my son in their care with complete trust. Clearly, it was warranted. Today, following thirteen surgical proceedures, my 10 month old is growing and thriving.

As I return here today, I see the faces of those who were instrumental in the healing of my son and who literally walked with me through some of my deepest valleys. Their work is nothing short of miraculous and, as a staff, they meet every need of both patients and families. Donating to the UNC Hospitals will bless and save the lives of so many children!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home